Monday, February 25, 2013

Number Please


As technology becomes more and more sophisticated, I’m going to have to re-examine my approach to a variety of conveniences.  Because as it stands right now, it appears I’m not I’m lady-like enough to use automated phone systems.

I recently called the 800 number for American Express to check my credit card balance.  Their automated system is voice activated, meaning I was at liberty to either ‘enter’ or ‘say’ my account number.  Being too lazy to press numbers, I opted to read it off the card. 

Before she began to regale me with choices, the computerized goddess told me that I could interrupt her at any time by either pressing the key on the telephone keypad or simply ‘telling’ her which department I wanted to access.  As she began her litany of options, I accidentally burped into the earpiece.  There was silence on the other end of the line until I heard the polite voice say to me “I’m sorry, I didn’t get that.”  I laughed so hard I had to hang up.

My only hope is that this particular call didn’t fall into the category of ‘This phone call may be taped or monitored for training purposes.’  I would hate to be responsible for a host of potential employees opting for unemployment.



No comments:

Post a Comment