Monday, April 8, 2013

Do I Know You?


The year was 1996 and my 13 year old daughter attended her first dance at school.  When I went to pick her up a friend of mine, who is the same age as me, tagged along.  As we walked down the hall a teacher stopped my friend and asked if she was picking up her child.  Aghast at the implication that she looked old enough to have a 13 year old, my friend declared to the teacher that she ABSOLUTELY WAS NOT PICKING UP A CHILD AND THAT SHE, IN FACT, DID NOT EVEN HAVE A CHILD!

And with her shorts in a knot my friend turned to me and bellowed “DOES SHE REALLY THINK I LOOK OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD?”  I was inclined to point out to her that, as I was old enough to have a 13 year old, surely she was as well.  But I remained silent because, after all, it didn’t matter how old I looked, the joy was simply in being a mother. 

As we continued down the hall it occurred to me that the teacher didn’t ask me if I was picking up a child so I must not look old enough to have a 13 year old.

When I found my daughter, I handed her $5 and told her to find her own way home.  There was no way I was gonna be caught dead with some 13 year old and a saggy looking friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment