Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Decline of American Civilization


I know why foreigners hate us.  Dogs in strollers.  Doesn’t this strike anyone else as over-indulgent, ridiculous nonsense?

It was August and I was at an animal rescue event promoting greyhound rescue.  It was probably 120° in the shade when I spotted this old coot pushing two small dogs in a stroller.  The grass was on an incline and I could see the old guy’s face turning beet red as he huffed and puffed; struggling to push two dogs with 8 healthy legs between them, up a hill.  I thought for sure he was going to have a heart attack right in front of my booth, which would have been bad news for him, since the vet was a little ways down and I wasn’t leaving my tent.

But imagine my surprise when just a few moments later a woman walked by pushing a stroller made for triplets with a healthy pug in each seat.

I tried to snap a picture of her but a man in lipstick and mini skirt pushing his wheelchair bound father, also in a dress, got in my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment