Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Popular Adage Dismissed


In the early 90’s I worked for a small company that used outside storage units to store old literature.  One day, they assembled a team of us to go to the storage unit to take inventory.  After a long day of counting we packed up to leave. 

On the way out of the facility I noticed a young man standing in his storage unit.  Sticking my head out the window of my co-workers car, I asked him if he had any women’s clothes he wanted to get rid of.  Had I been more astute, I would have realized that the poor guy had probably just been thrown out of wherever he lived.  The unit appeared to be filled with everything he ever owned. 

He bitterly asked me if that was all I ever thought about.  I cheerfully responded that well, yes; actually it WAS all I ever thought about. 

I don’t know what changed his attitude but the next thing I knew he walked up to the car and handed me a tee shirt.  His only comment was that his brother worked for the company.  He turned and walked away. 

To this day I still have that tee shirt and more than 20 years later, it is still one of the best tee shirts I have ever owned. 

The front says ‘What’s the Most Popular Form of National Defense” and the back is an ad for Trojan Brand Condoms. 

So you see, you don’t have to beware of strangers bearing gifts.

What you have to watch out for is when your 9 year old daughter borrows your clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment