Thursday, August 22, 2013

No Phones, No Lights, No Motor Cars


There’s a show on TV called the Amish Mafia.  Is that supposed to be frightening?  I’m 100% Italian and have relatives who live behind concrete walls in Connecticut.  I’m not impressed.

I confess I have not watched the show nor do I have any immediate plans to do so.  I’m just confused as to the premise. 

According to Wikipedia, a “Mafia” is an association of criminal groups whose common enterprise is protection racketeering.  A Protection Racket is an extortion scheme whereby a criminal group or individual coerces a victim to pay money, supposedly for protection services against violence or property damage.

Don’t the Amish live without what most Americans would consider to be conventional necessities?  I'm talking about telephones, televisions and lights.  If the Amish Mafia is coercing its victims out of money, what are they buying with it?  Is there a Walmart in Amish Country that sells nothing but hand operated farming equipment?  How many butter churns can one Mafia have?

And while I’m asking, are Amish Mafia members allowed to own cars and guns?  If not, how on earth would they pull off a “hit?”  Horse Drawn Carriage?  Instead of a Drive-by Shooting would it be a Trot-by Fruiting?

I’m thinking a program like this would appeal only to the Amish.  But how on earth would they watch it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment