Friday, August 9, 2013

Where on Earth is Julia Child?


I can’t cook.  I try but I can’t cook.

Somewhere along the line I signed up to receive daily e-mails from a site called AllRecipes.com.  Now, each and every day I get the “Daily Dish.”  There are usually 3 recipes to “Complete Your Meal” which could be a veggie, a drink special, an appetizer or a salad; then there are the Side Dishes which has a featured recipe and a link to “More Recipes Like This.”  Finally, there is the Featured Daily Recipe, an entree with its own link to “More Recipes Like This.”  If you like the featured recipe, you’re in luck since the link gives you a veritable plethora of similar recipes to review. 

What perplexed me one day was when the featured recipe was a breakfast sandwich.  The related link had a recipe for Cinnamon Toast.  Really?  Isn't that just buttered toast and cinnamon?  If someone can’t figure out how to make Cinnamon Toast, I’m not sure I’d want them touching a can opener.

My favorite recipes on this site are either from the Hunts or Campbell’s kitchen because I’m confident they’ve been tested.  The rest of the recipes seem to be posted by rotten cooks like myself, only these people like to put recipes on the internet.  The recipes have names that either start with “Famous,” “Perfect” or “Superb” and contain words like “heavenly” and “most delish.”  I have also noticed that many of them are Mom’s or Grandma’s recipe.  Is that supposed to provide some credibility to the quality of the meal?  My grandmother cooked with lard.   

I confess I have found a lot of very interesting recipes on this site and have uploaded them to my RecipeBook app on my iPad.  I love my RecipeBook app.  It has made it delightfully easy for me to save recipes for my husband to cook for me. 

As a bonus, I can also key in my own treasured recipes.   Just this morning I was reviewing all of my saved RecipeBook recipes when I came across one I forgot I had hand keyed.  Right in between Skillet Beef and Slow Cooker Au Jus Pot Roast I found one of my favorites; Skunk Spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment