Thursday, July 5, 2012

Beauty Is In the Eye of...Just Who Exactly?

The 50 women who represent their states in the Miss America pageant beat out other women in prior pageants to get to the Miss America pageant, right?  Like, Miss Texas wasn’t crowned "Miss Texas" because she had the biggest gun or because she was the first to sign up was she?   

If it’s the "Miss Montana" pageant, the winner has to beat a lot of other contestants doesn't she, in order to earn the right to represent her state in the Miss America pagent?  Like maybe say at least 10 other woman and possibly an elk in a Tiara? 

Or is all of this done by some random lottery?  For instance, am I gonna be checking my mail some day and get a letter saying "you may already be a beauty contestant..."

I hate to admit why I'm asking these questions, but here it is:  As I watched the Miss America pageant I realized that there were some really homely girls wearing their state sash.  And I asked myself ‘if the winner is homely, what the heck did the girls in the prior pageant look like that she beat?’ I know they say it's not a "beauty" pageant, but who are we kidding?   

I confess I had no answer for myself.  

I think about the same thing when I look at kid’s high school yearbook pictures or when I see an ugly couple pictured in the newspaper announcing their engagement.  You know they had at least 10 other pictures to choose from and the really ugly one you’re looking at is the best of the lot.     


No comments:

Post a Comment