Monday, July 23, 2012

I'll Have What She's Having

Do Japanese restaurants really expect us to believe that the Hibachi guy preparing my food’s real name is Jerry?  Have you seen this phenomenon or is it only on the East Coast?  The entire non English-speaking staff is walking around with name tags that say, Donny, Taffy, Jimmy, and Bambi.  Isn’t that a riot? 

I understand why they're doing it, trust me.  They're trying to Americanize the place.  Same reason they serve salad.  Have you ever seen a picture of a Japanese persone eating lettuce with chopsticks?  Of course not.  It's not a staple of their diet.  But they serve it in restaurants because we American folk expect it with our meal.  So I guess I'll have to put up with the funny name tags as well. 

If you want to find out your server's real names try this:  drop forks and knives on the floor and see who says ‘Can I help you?’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment