Tuesday, July 10, 2012

It's Family, No Matter How You Slice It

My mother was the envy of our neighborhood.

She was the first one to have a state of the art dicer/slicer, circa 1973 that my dad bought for her for Christmas.  I suppose that would be on the order of getting a vacuum cleaner for your birthday, but when you’re married a long time, I guess it comes along with the territory. 

The dicer/slicer was made entirely of plastic and had a lot of compartments to accommodate different dicing and slicing requirements.  My mother used to love her dicer/slicer, circa 1973 and used it for all her dicing and slicing needs.  The only problem was that because of all the compartments, clean up was not easy.  She would have to wash it real well, in all its little nooks and crannies and then dry it, which she had a heck of a time doing. 

One day my mother, who was the envy of the neighborhood, came up with an idea to make her dicer/slicer, circa 1973 dry faster.  Now for those of you who aren’t real familiar with plastic, let me just tell you that generally speaking, it doesn’t hold up real well in extreme heat.  So when she put it in the oven to dry, well, her little dicer/slicer melted into a plastic blob, circa 1973. 

My father took the poor little dicer/slicer and hung it on the wall in the living room.  He told everyone it was Modern Art.  He was such a funny guy.

Poor Mother; she became the butt of a lot of jokes around town, circa 1973 to1976. 


No comments:

Post a Comment