Monday, September 24, 2012

An Apple a Day


You know what I’m sick to death of hearing about:  Kids who have ADHD.  As far as I’m concerned, they don’t have a medical condition, they’re just bored, overindulged kids with ‘non- parenting’ parents who either can’t or won’t discipline them.  And the kids know it too.  There’s no such thing as giving your kid a firm swat on the butt anymore.  You can’t.  If you do, you’ll be brought up on charges because your five year old has DYFS on speed dial on his Smartphone. 

Instead, we have the ridiculously inefficient disciplining tool called ‘Time Out.’  And when that doesn’t work, the parents load the kids into the Cadillac SUV and haul them off to the doctor’s office for evaluation.  The doctors, who wouldn’t dream of telling the parents to discipline their kids, have instead created an entire disease state dedicated to this ‘condition’ and simply write prescriptions.  The parents, in turn, can then medicate the little offenders into a drug induced coma.  It’s an epidemic I tell you. 

And if that wasn’t enough, the other day I was reading about something called ODD.  If you haven’t heard about this doozy, I’ll fill you in.  ODD stands for Oppositional Defiant Disorder which I take to mean ‘Child will behave opposite of how you want them to.’  This isn’t a disorder, this is a disobedient child and boy did my father have the cure for that.  I believe the Latin term for ODD is Rottenbrattius Wontlistenus Nincompoopus. 

The day parents were told they could no longer hit their children because it was bad for their self esteem was the day it all went down the drain.  If I were a doctor I'd write the following on my prescription pad:  Hit Daily or as Needed. 

‘Time Out’ indeed.  Whatever happened to ‘Teeth Out?’ 

I fear for the next generation.      


No comments:

Post a Comment