Friday, September 7, 2012

How Much Is That?

Vets are taking complete advantage of the fact that we have all lost our minds.  We will pay anything for the well-being of our dogs.

When I grew up we always had a dog in the house but I hardly ever recall my father taking one of them to the vet, except to have them put to sleep that is.  And the only reason he did that was because I went with him to be sure he didn’t drop the dog off on the side of the highway.     

I took one of my greyhounds to the vet a few years back to have a dental cleaning.  Was this something that anyone would have even CONSIDERED 10 years ago?  My dogs get better dental care than I do.  I brush their teeth every morning.  And in case you’re counting, that’s 5 sets of teeth I’m brushing.  6 if you count mine. 

I was told my dog, Kira, needed to have 8 teeth pulled and a root canal.  Root canal for a dog!  I’m 51 years old and I’ve never had a root canal.  I just got my first crown last year. 

The tech came into the examining room and gave me the estimate for the dental work.  The low estimate was $1,825.43 and the high estimate was $2,594.60 depending on what needed to be done.  I had to look real close to make sure it was a dental estimate and not one to have a deck put on my house.  The dental assistant attempted to explain what all of the charges were for, but I confess my eyes had started to glaze over and I didn’t hear a word she said. 

She proceeded to tell me that I was paying for a board certified dental veterinarian.  When I explained that I didn’t want to pay for his student loans, she told me that I was under no obligation to stay.  Boy, it was a good thing she cleared that up for me.  I collected my dog and attempted to leave, but learned I was still responsible to pay $267 for the “consultation." 


No comments:

Post a Comment