Friday, October 5, 2012

It's Not That Easy Being Green


I often wonder about things that define certain aspects of my life.  Since I’ve been married 3 times I periodically ask myself, ‘Is it me?  Am I the one to blame in my failed marriages?  Do I do stupid, foolishly thought out or childish things?’  And I generally answer myself, ‘No, I don’t think so.’  But then I wonder...

Many years ago when I was in college, there was a very attractive young man in one of my classes who I wanted terribly to strike up a conversation with.  One day while peeking at the teacher’s roster I noticed the name “Kermit” printed on it.  A host of things started swirling through my mind like, honestly, who names their kid Kermit?  I thought this might be an interesting ice breaker with my handsome classmate, Buddy.  

A few days later I worked up the courage to approach Buddy.  I asked him if he knew there was someone in the class named Kermit.  He smiled politely and asked me if I was kidding.  Knowing he would be ridiculously impressed by my sense of humor, I continued.  I asked what he thought a Kermit might look like.  If he thought he might be green or have a pig for a girlfriend.  Oh, we had quite a laugh.  I babbled on for a few minutes, making joke after Kermit joke.  The next thing I knew Buddy was taking something out of his pocket.  What was this I wondered?  Why, it was his driver’s license!  But why was he showing me his driver’s license?  Oh.  After that I’m kind of fuzzy on the details. 

When I think back on that occasion, I ask myself, how am I to blame here?  I mean honestly, who names their kid Kermit?  Buddy was just fine. 

Oddly enough, we never dated.

No comments:

Post a Comment