Monday, October 15, 2012

Walk Fit


As a nation, parents are raising lazy, fat, coddled children.  At least they are in my neighborhood.

One morning on my way to work I made the mistake of taking a short cut through a residential area.  The road I was on was 1.1 miles long and the bus made 14 stops.  I am not making this up.  I counted. 

The bus stopped at every corner and each time it stopped, one kid got on.  That was after he made a show of hugging and kissing his parents good bye, of course.  Can you believe this behavior?  And the parent’s went along with it!  Sometimes the bus couldn’t even make it to the next corner; it would stop at some kid’s driveway, where there would be more hugging and kissing.  It was a regular love-fest. 

And the parents were all in their pajamas, slippers and robes.  I thought that somewhere along the way I must have slipped into Oz because it didn’t look like anybody worked for a living.  I had to look out my window to make sure there were no yellow bricks under my tires.  Or midgets. 

Why are parents allowing their children to be so lazy?  Couldn’t they walk a few blocks to catch their bus with some other kids?  I mean, come on.

Now I’m not gonna lie and say I walked 8 miles to school, uphill, barefoot, in the snow, but I at least walked 3 blocks to catch my bus.  And no one kissed me goodbye. 

I’m not even sure my parents knew where I went to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment